Grundy Kendall Regional Office of Education LogoGrundy / Kendall
Regional Office of Education

Christopher D. Mehochko

Regional Superintendent
Morris Office: (815) 941-3247  |  Fax: (815) 942-5384
Yorkville Office: (630) 553-4168  |  Fax: (630) 553-4152

Substitute Teaching


AS OF JANUARY 1st,  those wanting to substitute now have to pay for their own fingerprinting. 

We have recently worked out the particulars of the new law HB 5863 and are taking applications for substitutes again.

You need to hold a valid Professional Educator License, Substitute License or an Educator License with Stipulations - Provisional to be a substitute teacher in Illinois. A person holding a Substitute License may teach an unlimited amount of days but if subbing for one teacher are limited to 90 days.


To obtain a Substitute License

[If you hold a Teaching License, you DO NOT need a Substitute License]

Anyone interested in obtaining a Substitute License must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution. A Substitute License is valid for 5 years and is renewable online through your ELIS account.  

You will need to log into the new Educator License Information System site (link below) and create an account. 


Under Educator Access, click "Click Here"  and then click "Sign Up Now" on the left side.  This will allow you to create an ELIS account.

You will need to have your official transcripts (in a sealed envelope) sent to either of our offices showing your bachelor's degree.  

Once your account has been created, you will need to apply by credit card for the Substitue License in ELIS, under the Action Center. 

It can take up to 120 days for an evaluation to be completed.  After the Sub License is issued, you will need to register the Licence in our county - Grundy/Kendall #24.


Substitute Teacher Authorization

In addition to holding a Teaching or Substitute License, you will need to hold a Substitute Teacher Authorization to serve as a sub throughout Grundy/Kendall Counties.

Once the Substitutue Teacher Authorization has been issued by either of our offices, you will need to take that packet to each district office in which you would like to substitute in and sign up with them

To obtain this authorization, the following must be provided:

  1. An Illinois Teaching License or Substitute License registered in Grundy/Kendall County ROE

  2. Physical Examination, within 90 days

  3. $50 cash or check which covers the required fingerprinting

  4. Fingerprint Authorization and Release Form (obtained at ROE)

  5. Substitute Teacher Information Form (obtained at ROE)

  6. Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status Form and Training (obtained at ROE)
    Please click this link to complete the training and provide us with the certificate of completion

    You can use this form for the Physical:  Physical Form